What are Essential Oils???
Essential oils are volatile and liquid aroma compounds from natural sources, usually plants. The oils capture the plant’s scent and flavor, or “essence. They are not oils in a strict sense, but often share with oils a poor solubility in water. Essential oils often have an odor and are therefore used in food flavoring and perfumery. They are usually prepared by fragrance extraction techniques (such as distillation, cold pressing, or Solvent extraction). Essential oils are distinguished from aroma oils (essential oils and aroma compounds in an oily solvent), infusions in a vegetable oil, absolutes, and concretes. Typically, essential oils are highly complex mixtures of often hundreds of individual aroma compounds.
Essential oils are obtained through distillation (via steam and/or water) or mechanical methods, such as cold pressing.Once the aromatic chemicals have been extracted, they are combined with the carrier oil to create a product that’s ready for use.
How do Essential Oils work?
Essential oils are most commonly used in the practice of aromatherapy, in which they are inhaled through various methods.Inhaling the aromas from essential oils can stimulate areas of your limbic system, which is a part of your brain that plays a role in emotions, behaviors, sense of smell, and long-term memory. The limbic system also plays a role in controlling several unconscious physiological functions, such as breathing, heart rate, and blood pressure. As such, some people claim that essential oils can exert a physical effect on your body.
There are more than 90 types of essential oils, each with its own unique smell and potential health benefits.
Here’s a list of 10 popular essential oils and the health claims associated with them:
• Peppermint: used to boost energy and aid digestion
• Lavender: used to relieve stress
• Sandalwood: used to calm nerves and help with focus
• Bergamot: used to reduce stress and improve skin conditions like eczema
• Rose: used to improve mood and reduce anxiety
• Chamomile: used to improve mood and relaxation
• Ylang-Ylang: used to treat headaches, nausea, and skin conditions
• Tea Tree: used to fight infections and boost immunity
• Jasmine: used to help with depression, childbirth, and libido
• Lemon: used to aid digestion, mood, headaches, and more